JCA is on a mission. We are always looking for the best people to help us continually achieve excellence in engineering and construction design, build and maintenance.
JCA offers a variety of challenging and career-enhancing roles, in a vibrant and enthusiastic working environment. Our positions come with great benefits. We recognise the importance of helping our employees balance work and home life, by offering flexible working arrangements. This enables staff to incorporate other priorities, including parental and caring responsibilities, voluntary and charity work and leisure pursuits.
We also offer learning and development opportunities including Talent Development Programmes, Graduate schemes, Apprenticeships, as well as work experience for young people.
Opportunities exist at technical, professional and management levels in roles including maintenance, administration, project management and design.
If you are interested in joining us on our mission, get in touch: call for a chat, send us your CV, use LinkedIn or view our current vacancies. We look forward to hearing from you.
Position/Title: Associate Mechanical Engineer
Department: Design team
Reporting to: Divisional Director
Location: Head Office, Stevenage
Purpose/Main Functions of Position:
A key position within the design team intended to provide a high degree of technical expertise and design-management skills in building services engineering, from inception through to completion.
The Associate Mechanical Engineer shall be degree qualified in a relevant field of engineering and shall either be a chartered member of The Engineering Council (UK), or working towards obtaining chartered status. The role holder shall have a strong background in the design and design-management of building services engineering, particularly in business-critical environments, through all RIBA stages.
Whilst the Associate Mechanical Engineer will have a bias towards an engineering discipline (mechanical or electrical), he or she will be capable of acting as lead-designer in managing a multidisciplinary design team, (incl. outsourced resource), through the whole lifecycle of a project.
This person will be engaged in supporting the other JCA Engineering divisions, as well as producing, managing and delivering consultancy-based solutions to clients. In liaison with the Divisional Director, the role holder shall be responsible for the development of project bids, contracts, resource and fee forecasting.
The Associate Mechanical Engineer will at all times portray the business in a positive manner ensuring all activities remain professional and ethical at all times.
Role and responsibilities:
- Design, plan and coordinate projects through all RIBA Stages.
- Maintain a working knowledge of appropriate engineering and industry standards.
- Manage and co-ordinate design project teams, including any external design resource.
- Attend client and stakeholder meetings, including presenting and justifying proposals.
- Build working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Close liaison with the delivery teams to ensure technical accuracy at construction stage.
- Actively oversee any key site-based operations that warrant a high level of technical expertise be present.
- Liaison with the other divisions with JCA engineering such as the Estimating department, as required.
- Checking and quality assurance of designs developed by others, including outsourced resource.
- Ensuring that the designs and proposals meet legislative and statutory requirements.
- Mentor, guide and support less experienced members of the design team.
- Development of fee proposals and financial management of project team, including sub-consultants, through the whole project life-cycle.
- Ensure that the company’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies and procedures are constantly adhered to in all aspects of building services design.
- Be conversant with the company standards, associated guidance manuals and technical standards, regulations relevant to the design & technical engineering needs of the Company.
Skills, knowledge and competencies required:
- Degree qualified in a relevant field of engineering.
- At least 8 years’ post-graduate experience within Mechanical Engineering Design within the built environment.
- Working knowledge with statutory and industry guidelines such as British Standards and CIBSE guidelines.
- Experience working in a client-facing role.
- Good commercial awareness.
- Demonstrate a proven track record of a high degree of technical and design-management expertise.
Desirable skills, knowledge and competencies:
- Data Centre experience.
- Chartership or working towards Chartership with a relevant institution.
You will also be asked to undertake projects and any other duties, which reasonably fall within the scope of the position and you will also need to demonstrate capacity to develop within the role and take responsibility for driving own professional development.
In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the jobholder is required to carry out such other duties as may be required and as may be assigned by the management team from time to time.
Position/Title: Maintenance Coordinator
Department: Maintenance Service Desk
Reporting to: Service Desk Supervisor
Purpose/Main Functions of Position:
To work within a team of coordinators, contract management and engineering delivery personnel to ensure that we deliver a first class customer and client focused service. The team is to have a collaborative approach and work as one team with one focus, providing an exceptional service delivery to the client.
- To carry out PPM scheduling and progressions, ensuring the tasks that are due are scheduled for the correct day and time slots, utilising the engineering workforce efficiently. Liaising with clients where necessary. Ensure that engineers are in attendance and chase for completion.
- Receiving client requests for additional or reactive attendance, raising a record and progressing that record through its various stages, selecting the correct engineering attendance, chasing for completion within SLAs through to financial closure
- Liaising with contract managers when progressing quotations, producing the final presentation document for approval
- Raising purchase orders for both materials and subcontracted services as required, utilising the company’s preferred suppliers list and procurement department when necessary
- Providing accurate and timely data for reports to be used internally and externally as required
- Liaise with and communicate daily with engineering delivery and contract management to ensure that all are fully aware of location of staff and status of works
- To provide an excellent level of client and customer focus, through all contact channels
- Excellent communication and written skills
- Providing cover for other team members
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the jobholder is required to carry out such other duties as may be required and as may be assigned by the directors from time to time
Skills, knowledge and competencies required:
- Experience of administration within the building services industry
- Previous experience of working in an administration team an advantage
- Good presentational skills and understanding of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word
- Ability to deal confidently with clients and contract managers
- Able to prioritise own workload and report any resource issues directly to line manager
- Dealing directly with the engineer workforce to provide daily diaries, and relay changes in timely manner
- A further education qualification in administration, secretarial or another business related subject
- Excel intermediate qualification or equivalent
- EDLC or equivalent
- Open, honest and trustworthy
- Able to produce work of an excellent standard and prepared to learn new skills
- Ability to make decisions and use own initiative
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- ‘Can do’ attitude
- Understand the importance of following policy and procedure